Tuesday 20 September 2011

Somebody Pinch me!


Did that really happen? Was I dreaming? NO! Ireland 15-6 Australia

I have to say that I really did think that we had it in us to beat Australia but to be at Eden Park and watch the performance live in front of me, I did not think that we would dominate them as much as we did.

The performance aside it was a fantastic weekend in Auckland! Just walking around the city you could see the amount of Irish support that was about, there were Irish fans from New Zealand, Australia, all around the world and of course our own island, it made for a great scene. I do not think that I could have escaped a green jersey if I wanted to.

We decided to walk to the game along the “Fan Trail” which was about 4 KM long with entertainment and bars along the way, I have to admit though after a heavy Friday night the bars were the last thing on my mind but the craic that was had by everyone when we stopped was great. Nearing the ground the weather set in and we were worried that it would be a wet old Saturday night but thankfully for all it blew over as the sunset.

As Eden Park filled up it seemed that the Irish were out numbered by the Aussie fans which I did have to admit I expected but as I wrapped up against the cold I never noticed the green support slipping into the ground but as the atmosphere built so did the sea of green. I have not had the chance yet to get to the new Lansdowne Road but I would expect that when I do I might be a little disappointed as Saturday night was indeed a massive “home” game for Ireland.

Nothing could burst my bubble after the game, my hang-over had gone and I was on a massive adrenaline high, the stadium was awash with green and the singing would have lifted the roof, if indeed Eden Park had a roof.

This was what the Rugby World Cup is all about, this is why I decided to come to New Zealand!

There were three words said by everyone after the game, can you guess what they were? It was simple, “I was there!”

If the rest of the tournament is as good as that one game, well, we are all in for a treat.

COME ON IRELAND!l

No comments:

Post a Comment